Fashion District Festival Returns for 2023!
The Fashion District Festival is making a highly anticipated return for its second iteration at Spitalfields from 11-16 July 2023.
Taking over the vibrant east London destination, the six-day festival will be a celebration of fashion, sustainability, innovation, and community. Featuring over 40 events, including pop-ups, swap shops, styling masterclasses, upcycling workshops, and interactive experiences, visitors will have the chance to explore, learn, create, and network with leading conscious brands and digital fashion businesses.
This year’s festival covers four themes — WATCH, SHOP, MAKE, and GROW.
The Fashion District Festival will kick off on Tuesday 11 July. As part of the WATCH programme, the launch show, curated by Lee Lapthorne from On|Off and AGRO Studio, will introduce some of London’s most promising emerging designers, combining physical and digital installations, to create a truly unforgettable experience. The week will see further digital showcases and styling events from charity partner Give Your Best.
The SHOP series will feature a collaborative retail pop-up located in a brand-new building at Number 1 Lamb St in Spitalfields – the first event to take place in the contemporary building designed by Foster + Partners. Featuring emerging and planet-positive designers and start-ups, the brands on show specialise in preloved, swapped, rented, and upcycled fashion, such as The Alterist, Loanhood, The Cirkel, Verte London, Circular Threads and The Seam.
- Rental app Loanhood will host a ‘Get Ready With Us’ event at the pop-up shop, where fashion enthusiasts can try on pieces available for rent or purchase, and curate their weekend wardrobes.
- Clothes swapping company Verte will organise two swap shops for children and adults to refresh their wardrobe.
- Specialist wardrobe care and repair service The Seam will host an open house, where visitors can witness the art of garment restoration and submit items for repair or alteration.
- South Asian preloved and rental fashion platform, Circular Threads, will host a day-long event with the chance to try-on outfits for the wedding season and join in upcycling workshops.
The MAKE space offers a diverse program of interactive events and workshops for all ages, encouraging participants to explore sustainability and innovation in fashion via the three Rs: Repair, Reuse, and Recycle.
MAKE talks and workshops:
- Slow-fashion designer Lydia Bolton will offer visitors the chance to learn hand embroidery techniques to breathe new life into old garments.
- Upcycled fashion marketplace The Alterist will host workshops by talented designers from their community.
- Making for Change will host engaging workshops for families and children, which will keep the little eco-warriors busy for an entire afternoon.
- Slow fashion brand Revival London will share ways to re-work preloved denim into unique and stylish pieces
The GROW programme is dedicated to supporting fashion start-ups and SMEs through a series of roundtables, talks, and workshops that delve into the ideas and innovations driving change within the industry, including themes such as the circular economy, regenerative materials, digital fashion, design for the metaverse, early-stage investment and more.
GROW talks and workshops:
- The week will hear from an exciting line-up of speakers including: Fashion (Minority) Report, Innovate UK, UKFT, ReLondon, Fashion Innovation Agency, The Trampery, True., and The WIP.
- Captivate Communications will be running pitching workshops, offering valuable insights and guidance for aspiring fashion entrepreneurs looking to secure funding.
- In collaboration with True Global, the festival will host an investment event featuring a panel discussion with angel investors, VCs, and established brands. The interactive session will provide start-ups with an overview of what investors and brands seek and offer valuable tips for success.
- Fashion Innovation Agency will host a fash-tech meet-up, discussing AI and the most promising and innovative applications in the fashion industry.
- Social enterprise The Trampery will come together with Fashion District to host Fashion Circle, a dynamic event on preloved fashion including a brunch, two panel events with pioneering industry figures, and a speed networking session.
Jason Dervin, General Estate Manager at The Spitalfields Estate, says, “We are proud to host the ever-inspiring Fashion District Festival and donate four spaces for the events in our newly created units and basement studio space. Celebrating and supporting multiple sustainable start-ups, emerging talent and brands in this dynamic way sits perfectly alongside our existing retail and F&B operators, and we hope to see everyone at the Festival in Spitalfields this July.”Bookings are now open! Don’t miss your chance to secure a spot at each of the incredible events – click here to see the lineup so far. Stay tuned for more event announcements and exciting speakers coming soon!
Bookings are now open! Don’t miss your chance to secure a spot at each of the incredible events – click the button below to see the lineup so far.
Follow our socials to stay tuned for more event announcements and exciting speakers coming soon!